Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spaghetti Pie

I tried this recipe yesterday which I got from Ruth Ann's blog "Warm Pie, Happy Home"...just adapted slightly to suit what I had and also because I had to remember the ingredients when I went shopping and that doesn't always work out!
It was really easy to make and Mike loved it. Think I will try it when his parents come to stay in March.

Couple of spring onions
Olive oil

1/2lb mince
(I used a little less than this amount)
3/4 chipolata sausages (the original recipe used sausage meat but I had these links in the freezer and it worked fine)
2 garlic cloves minced - optional -I didn't have any in
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tblsp tomato puree

salt & pepper to taste

a big sprinkle of celery salt

3 cups of water
(I needed more than the original recipe suggested)
8oz spaghetti
1/4 cup of whipping cream

4 tblsp chopped fresh basil

1/2 cup parmesan - fresh & grated

1 cup mozzarella
(again, I used less than this)

I used a wok to cook this.
Saute the spring onions in olive oil then add mince & sausages to brown ~ add in garlic if using ~ add can of tomatoes and add seasoning to suit.
Add the water and then break the spaghetti into thirds and push into the liquid ~ cover and cook for 8 minutes. Stir and simmer for another 6 minutes (I had to splash a little more water in at this point too)
Then stir in the cream, chopped basil and parmesan. It does look lovely at this point.
Then I transferred to a casserole dish although Ruth Ann suggests serving in the skillet (pan) but I do love to use my Portmeirion if I can.
Once in the casserole dish I sprinkled the mozzarella and grilled for 2/3 minutes.
Served with caesar salad.....very, very yummy!
It was so good I would love to have it again this evening, but I'll try to resist.



3 comments:

Tracy x said...

hello you x
i have just caught up with your news and i am so terribly sorry at the loss of your friend - i know how much it hurts :(
sending you gentle hugs
t x

ChaChaneen said...

Oh I'm in cheesy heaven on earth! That looks delicious! And you posted the recipe, your a doll! I am definitely making this because I just happen to have left over noodles waiting for something to create into.

the voice of melody said...

I saw this recipe over at Ruthann's a little while back and I'm glad you made it and that it was so good. I haven't gotten around to it yet but it's on my list to try.

Many sweet blessings!