Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A January Challenge


At Christmas I seemed to shop and plan food as if we were planning dinners for ten each evening, which we weren't of course. We had a few friends round at times but much less this year actually as we went away midweek and for Hogmanay. I spend lots and now have cupboards full of things we don't normally eat - quince paste to go with manchengo cheese, and many, many Belgian waffles - they always look so nice! I had to buy our actual Christmas dinner last minute as my freezer is jam-packed.
My January challenge to myself was to only shop once a week via Abel and Cole and to live out of the freezer with no extra visits to a shop or supermarket. Partly this was to enable me to commence on my new year's resolution :: to label everything in my freezer ( I live an exciting life!) If I clear out the freezer and sort out the "unknowns" then I can start to label everything in a grown-up sort of way!

So it's January 5th and I have already been to Waitrose and spent £30 mainly on things for my little one but I did also buy frozen fruit for making myself smoothies and some custard for Mike and also some bargains of veg and some rocket salad. I feel it was justified! I have now done my weekly Abel and Cole order and I'm hoping that next week I can get by on what we have...we will see!


No comments: