Saturday, July 09, 2011

Glencoe

The first week of our holiday was spent in Glencoe. We arrived in torrential rain, the mountains encircling us and it did seem a bleak and haunting place.


Glencoe village was just a short riverside walk from our house and was cute and friendly.



The Massacre Monument was near the house and commemorates where many of the MacDonald clan were led to their deaths. My clan on my mum's side is MacDonald and despite not being hugely interested in that sort of thing it did make me feel a little odd to be there. Some years ago my mum and I also felt moved at Finlaggan on Islay which was the seat of the MacDonald chiefs.




We went twice to the NTS Glencoe Visitor Centre which was done really well and the actual location was lovely, very contemporary with a good shop and cafe.

No comments: